Tottenham v Burnley LIVE: Premier League team news, lineups and more today, with Spurs aiming for fourth place

(AFP via Getty Images)

Follow live updates as Tottenham welcome Burnley in a Premier League game that could prove crucial on both sides of the table. Spurs want to build on their 3-0 win over Arsenal in the North London derby on Thursday night and could move on their rivals to reach the top four with a win this afternoon. While Tottenham’s Champions League qualification hopes remain out of their hands, Antonio Conte’s side have a chance to increase the pressure on Arsenal ahead of their trip to Newcatle on Monday.

Burnley are under a different kind of pressure as the Clarets struggle to avoid relegation. Mike Jackson’s side have just three matches to secure their Premier League status and are tied with Leeds, albeit with a higher goal difference and a game less, heading into the final week of the season. Burnley have picked up 10 points from their last five games to give themselves a chance, and they will be looking to catch Tottenham earlier this afternoon, just as Brighton and Brentford have done in recent weeks.

If Tottenham lose the Champions League, it will come down to results like these, so Conte will know that his team can no longer make mistakes, as the race for the top four is on the line. Follow the Tottenham vs Burnley live updates below:

1652611508

Son chasing the Golden Boot

With Liverpool in the FA Cup final yesterday, Tottenham’s Son Heung-min has the opportunity to draw or take the lead in the goalscorers charts.

Mohamed Salah is 22, Son is currently 21 – that’s a third of all Spurs goals in the league this season.

He is certainly the man of danger and the in-form forward of the league right now.

Karl MatchettMay 15, 2022 11:45 am

1652611208

Landmark departure for Lowton from Burnley

Matt Lowton has been on and off the team this season for Burnley, but he’s been a big part of their top-tier survival plans – and indeed, thriving plans at times – for several years.

That’s 200 Claret games for him today and a 20th start to the Premier League season – he’s fallen out of favor lately and this is just his fourth league start of 2022.

Turns out he’s still just one assist away from being the club’s leader in that category this season: he’s at two, with five players claiming three each!

Karl MatchettMay 15, 2022 11:40 am

1652610908

Injury problems for Tottenham continue

Eric Dier may not have been the person most immediately considered crucial when Antonio Conte walked through the doors of Spurs, but he is the one who established himself as the midfielder, the most responsible for organization, constant hitting and… as it turns out. – keeping fit and available.

Romero’s absence on the defensive line makes it more important than ever for Dier to maintain his own levels of consistency and he will have his hands full between Barnes’ strength and movement and Cornet’s ball speed and skill in Burnley’s attack. today.

Elsewhere, Reguilon, Doherty, Skipp and Tanganga are unlikely to play again in this period.

Karl MatchettMay 15, 2022 11:35 am

1652610608

Tottenham’s chance to put pressure on Arsenal

As for the home team, Tottenham have a great opportunity today.

Following their win over Arsenal in the North London derby, three points at home will put them above the Gunners and in fourth place, with their rivals in action on Monday night against Newcastle United.

Antonio Conte’s team have won just two of the last five in the championship, and consistency is everything at this point in the season.

Transferring the pressure to Mikel Arteta’s team to find an answer would be a big boost in the race for Champions League spots.

Karl MatchettMay 15, 2022 11:30 am

1652610308

Burnley’s Relegation Fight

Back in the here and now with the Clarets, it’s a pretty simple goal for them until the end of the fast approaching season: to match what Leeds United do.

The clubs are level on 34 points now, but Burnley have one game less and a higher goal difference, so as long as they bring the same points in three games that Leeds can manage in two, they’ll play in the top flight. football again next season.

Of course, winning here and overcoming Everton would also go a long way in offering breathing space! The Toffees are in action this afternoon against Brentford.

Karl MatchettMay 15, 2022 11:25 am

1652610008

Dyche considers a move abroad if club and project are right

Continuing with Dyche’s thoughts, he’s not sure what’s next – but is considering a move abroad as a real possibility if nothing of interest arises in England.

“I don’t feel like I need a break. But if a break comes my way, I will use it wisely,” he said.

“So that’s when the time comes. You want the right people and the right project. But it’s not that easy and you often don’t know until you’re in it anyway.

“I have no problem working abroad, no problem with the geography of the country.

“I am quite flexible with my thinking about what can and cannot be done at clubs. I have a very open mind.”

Karl MatchettMay 15, 2022 11:20 am

1652609708

Sean Dyche’s First Public Words Since Burnley’s Fire

Former boss Sean Dyche spoke to the media just before this weekend’s game, his first interview since being fired from Turf Moor.

While he was surprised at the timing – just before a big match at the time – he’d noticed a drop in players’ responses to him before that and knew that was a critical factor.

“I felt throughout the season that the razor’s edge of success and failure at clubs like Burnley is pretty obvious because winning and losing is marginal,” he said.

“It starts to affect the psyche and the sensation starts to change.

“I thought we were losing our edge, not understanding or organization, there is an edge that players have to play with.

“What you see with a lot of groups, including ours, when we go in and out and they fire up and win the game right away. It’s almost like someone lifts everything off of you.”

Karl MatchettMay 15, 2022 11:15 am

1652609363

Dwight McNeil Says Position Change Triggered His Game Under Mike Jackson

Dwight McNeil credited a position switch under interim manager Mike Jackson for helping to rejuvenate his game when it matters most for Burnley, who are battling relegation.

The 22-year-old admitted this season’s stats – no goals and an assist – are poor by the high standards he’s set in the four years since joining the team, but he’s definitely benefited from the handcuffs coming off since Sean Dyche left. club last month.

The left-handed player switched to the right side under Jackson and managed to make more impact.

“I got more leave and I’m just enjoying my football again, which is good,” McNeil said.

“There are more opportunities inside, more opportunities to play inside and I can still play outside. That gives me more license to get on the ball.

“I know my stats for me personally are below par, but I think I’m starting to find myself in better positions and impacting the game more.”

Jackson tends to downplay the extent of the tactical changes he’s made since taking over from Dyche, but players have spoken extensively about enjoying more freedom under the Under-23s.

And the credit for changing McNeil’s stance definitely belongs to the interim technical team.

“They came to me with the idea that I really enjoyed hearing,” McNeil said. “Obviously I want to face the challenge and I think I can be more versatile and help out on the pitch.

“It’s great respect for them for trusting me in this position and I keep doing what I’m doing.”

Karl MatchettMay 15, 2022 11:09 am

1652609046

confirmed lineups

The teams are in! Unsurprisingly for Spurs, Moura has the advantage of Kulusevski. The Clarets’ four quarterbacks look pretty weird now without the likes of Mee and Tarkowski.

Tottenham XI: Lloris, Royal, Sanchez, Dier, Davies, Sessegnon, Bentancur, Hojbjerg, Lucas, Kane, Son.

Burnley XI: Pope, Roberts, Lowton, Collins, Long, Taylor, McNeil, Brownhill, Cork, Cornet, Barnes

Karl MatchettMay 15, 2022 11:04 am

1652608514

Son prioritizes Tottenham’s Top 4 over the Golden Boot

The South Korean is enjoying his best campaign ever and scored his 21st league goal in Spurs’ 3-0 win over Arsenal on Thursday night.

He is just one behind Liverpool’s Mohamed Salah in the race for the Golden Boot and is the fittest player, having scored 10 times in his last eight games.

That form helped Spurs make it to the top four with two games of the season to go, but Son would give it all up if it meant his team won Champions League qualification.

Asked if he would trade more goals for a place in the top four, he said: “Yes, 100%.

“Obviously it’s good that you’re racing, but I’ve said a few times that it’s important to finish in the top four (more) than anything else.

“It would be nice, but for us it’s important to finish in the top four.”

Son was withdrawn in the second half of the derby defeat, much to his displeasure.

Boss Antonio Conte said Son promised to score in Sunday’s clash with Burnley, which kicks off at 12pm, something the 29-year-old is hoping to deliver.

Karl MatchettMay 15, 2022 10:55 am