Roger Weaver Freed, Principal of Pennsylvania, is arrested for 7-year relationship with student

A Pennsylvania high school principal was arrested and charged with more than 30 criminal sex charges for an inappropriate sexual relationship he had with a male student over a period of seven years.

Roger Weaver Freed, 34, was charged Tuesday with 30 counts of indecent sexual contact with a student, one count of sexual assault, one count of aggravated indecent assault, one count of bribery of a minor and three counts of misdemeanor supplying alcohol. to a minor. , according to court documents.

Police said Freed began a relationship with the student, who is now of college age, in 2015 when the boy was in high school. The relationship turned sexual two years later and continued after the student graduated from high school until a few months ago — when it ended in April, according to an affidavit.

The student told investigators he first approached Freed after the death of a family member. He began to lean on the educator for emotional support and said he “trusted Free ‘like an older brother,’” the document states.

Their relationship soon grew outside of school, with Freed offering to give students rides to various locations so they could have “one-on-one conversations”.

Exterior view of Williamsport Area High School.
Freed works as a principal at Williamsport Area High School.
Google Maps

The student said he considered the educator and himself to be “bros” and said they could talk about anything, including their sexuality. They routinely texted, called and FaceTimed each other, police said.

In 2017, Freed and the student’s relationship turned sexual and the principal asked the boy to promise not to tell anyone, stressing that he could lose his job.

The student said he felt “overwhelming guilt” after the first sexual encounter, according to the affidavit.

The pair continued to engage in sexual activity four to five times a week for the next two years of high school. The student told police that their relationship continued as he graduated from high school and entered college.

Freed was indicted on Tuesday and released under supervision after posting $175,000 bail. He is required to wear an ankle monitor at all times and is prohibited from having any contact with minors or the victim.

Freed, who works as a principal at Williamsport Area High School, has been suspended with pay by the school board, according to PennLive.

Leave a Comment