North Korea reports first COVID-19 death as outbreak spreads: KCNA

At least one person confirmed with COVID-19 has died in North Korea, state media said on Friday, offering the first such statistics a day after the country confirmed its first outbreak since the pandemic began.

About 187,800 people are currently being treated in isolation after a fever of unidentified origin has spread in the country since late April, the official KCNA news agency reported.

About 350,000 people have shown signs of this fever, 162,200 of them treated so far, although KCNA did not specify how many have tested positive for COVID-19.

At least six people who showed symptoms of fever have died, with one of those cases confirmed to have contracted the Omicron variant of the virus, KCNA said.

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un visited the antivirus command center on Tuesday a day after declaring a “serious state emergency” and ordering a nationwide lockdown.

For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or through the app.

See More information:

North Korea declares ‘serious national emergency’ amid COVID-19 outbreak, orders lockdown

Leave a Comment