OXFORD TOWNSHIP, Michigan (CBS DETROIT) — Oakland County District Attorney Karen McDonald is evaluating the Oxford Community Schools Board of Education’s decision to delay a third-party review of the deadly Oxford High School shooting.
This comes after the board turned down Attorney General Dana Nessel’s second offer to conduct an independent investigation. Nessel renewed the offer last month after meeting with the families, who she said were seeking to learn more about what happened on November 30.
SEE MORE INFORMATION: MSP and Metro Detroit Police crack down on ‘transfer’ law
It had already offered the third-party review in December for the first time, but that too was turned down by the board.
“I am deeply disappointed by the school board’s repeated rejection of my offers to conduct a thorough, independent review of systems and procedures in the days leading up to and on November 30, 2021,” Nessel said in response to the board’s second decline. the ofert. “My goal is not to assign blame, but to help identify ways to improve school safety for Oxford and all schools in Michigan.”
SEE MORE INFORMATION: Bedrock Reveals First Look Inside Hudson’s Website Development
Four students died in the shooting. Six other students and a teacher were injured.
The accused shooter, 16-year-old Ethan Crumbley, is facing multiple charges. The teenager’s parents are also accused of involvement in the shooting.
School board president Thomas Donnelly says any independent investigation must wait until the criminal prosecutions are over.
MORE NEWS: Dog advocacy program helps children through testimonies and court appearances
McDonald says there is no reason to delay third-party review, saying that “an independent commission can conduct a thorough analysis of the events and factors that contributed to the shooting…”