Jordan De Goey apologized via a Collingwood video after a week in which the Magpies star came under fire.
Underfire Collingwood star Jordan De Goey has apologized for his actions after a week in which his Balinese video drama dominated AFL headlines.
The 26-year-old was captured on video in Bali during the break of the farewell week and was criticized by former players and pundits alike.
Watch all the blockbuster AFL matches this weekend live and ad-free live on Kayo. New to Kayo? Try 14 days free now >
De Goey released an incendiary statement this past weekend, criticizing the “relentless pursuit and persecution of athletes by the media … increased the heat of the star.
De Goey also did not return to training with the Magpies and took personal leave.
But on Friday the midfielder apologized for his actions in a video statement shared online by Collingwood.
“This week has obviously taken a toll on me and I thought I’d wait until I had a clear mind to come out and apologize for my actions and behavior,” said De Goey.
“I don’t condone this behavior and I have a lot of work to do.”
Asked if he had a message for the football community and especially for the women of the club, De Goey reiterated his apology.
“First of all, I want to come out and say I’m definitely sorry about that,” he said.
“I have a lot of important women in my life and I understand that you need to show respect to women all the time. I have a responsibility to the community at large and I need to keep working towards that.”
De Goey was seen making rude gestures at the camera and also pulling on a woman’s top.
The woman involved, Remy Jackson, posted about how surprised she was by the reaction.
De Goey also apologized for appearing to hide behind his ADHD diagnosis as a reason for his behavior, after AFL boss Gillon McLachlan said “it’s not an excuse for what’s going on” while Eddie McGuire and the host 3AW’s Neil Mitchell on the subject on the radio on Thursday.
“Obviously you saw with the ADHD that came out in the first place, I just wanted to say that this is not an excuse for my behavior,” he said.
“I just wanted to let people know that I was dealing with some things throughout the first half of this year and also now. It’s something I’m learning a lot.
“I’m not a perfect person, I don’t think I ever will be. But hopefully I can make some changes so that these errors don’t happen again. And for that alone I would like to apologize one more time.”
De Goey was punished by the Magpies this week. While some criticized the suspended fine of $25,000 the club handed out, the 26-year-old’s potential four-year $3.2 million contract was shelved by the club.
De Goey also has a long rapping record during his AFL career.
De Goey was fined $10,000 by the AFL in March for his involvement in a nighttime incident in New York last year.
He also has a long list of other offenses including road violations such as speeding while driving a sports car as a P-plater, suspended driving and using a handheld device, drunk driving on his P plates, and lying to Collingwood. after breaking his hand in a bar fight.
Originally posted as ‘I’m not a perfect person’: Jordan De Goey issues apology video