Grandmother mourns 18-year-old stalking fatally shot on 14th Street NW – NBC4 Washington

DC police are looking for the gunmen who chased and killed an 18-year-old man on 14th Street in northwest DC on Friday.

Surveillance cameras captured the terrifying scene, and now a heartbroken grandmother is left to mourn a tragedy she tried so hard to avoid.

The victim has been identified as a resident of the Anthony Arter District.

According to Arter’s grandmother, who took him in when he was just 3 years old, the young man started having problems around 10th grade, and spent his later years hanging out with the wrong crowd.

Her heartbroken grandmother feared something like this would happen.

“He reached the 11th [grade]. And so I took him out of DC for a year and a half [because of a] behavior problem he was having,” she said. “When he came from Florida, he took to the streets, started hanging out with the same old men.”

Arter’s story is perhaps more common than many might think.

“He had a lot of support, he just took the wrong path with the wrong people,” his grandmother said.

Before the shooting, she said her grandson “took a nap here for about three or four hours. So he decided to get dressed and came down at 12 o’clock that night… He told me he wouldn’t be back.”

And not Arte.

Surveillance video shows him walking down the sidewalk as two people dressed in dark clothes cross the street and start chasing him. Then the pair chase Arter down 14th Street NW.

Just before a Metrobus stops at the intersection at 3700 bock on 14th Street, the victim runs back across the street and manages to board after being shot.

It was there that the officers found him around 1:43 am. Police said he had multiple gunshot wounds.

Doctors took him to a hospital, where he died a short time later.

“[It was the] the next morning I think around 12:30 or so when I knocked on the door and said, it must be Anthony. So when I opened the door, two detectives were there,” his grandmother said. “It was really sad, it was really sad. But he wasn’t listening, and I… wasn’t really surprised because he wasn’t listening to anyone.”

Arter was just a few credits away from finishing high school. The murder marks the 70th in the country’s capital.

Police are still looking for suspects, and a possible motive has not been revealed.

Leave a Comment