Chidi Okwechime is guilty of raping and asphyxiating woman he met overnight at Canberra club

An ACT Supreme Court jury found a 34-year-old man from Canberra guilty of raping a woman he met at Kokomo’s former nightclub.

Chidi Okwechime was found guilty of two counts of rape and one count of strangling the woman.

The court heard that the woman had attended a 21st birthday party before meeting a group of men, including Okwechime, at the now-closed club in Canberra city centre.

She admitted to getting cocaine from Okwechime and her friends while at the club, saying her actions were out of character due to a harrowing breakup.

But the woman said it was while making a line of cocaine that her cell phone fell down the toilet.

She said the bar staff wouldn’t help her charge to make it work.

The woman said she later went home with Okwechime, believing they were going to a party where she could charge her phone and call someone to help her get home.

But she was taken to the home of a friend from Okwechime, where she was raped and strangled.

A man and lawyers out of court.
Chidi Okwechime (right) denied having sex with the woman when she kept saying no or that he only stopped when she started crying.(ABC News: Elizabeth Byrne)

During the week-long trial, the woman described Okwechime as a “crazed animal” and broke down several times during her trials, telling the court about her anguish.

“This isn’t fun, this is horrible,” she said.

But Okwechime told the jury he was shocked when the woman accused him of rape.

He said he asked several times “What are you talking about?”

Okwechime also denies saying anything about a party as he took his wife and another couple home.

He said the woman had tricked him, but he didn’t force her to do anything.

Okwechime also denied strangling the woman and said allegations that he sexually assaulted her were “absurd”.

“From the way she was acting, that’s what I thought she wanted,” he said.

He denied having sex with her when she kept saying no or that he only stopped when she started crying.

But the woman also admitted she was confused about some of the things she said shortly after the incident, including that she had gone with the group to a second nightclub before traveling home.

It took the jury just one day to find Okwechime guilty on all three counts.

He is in pretrial detention and will be sentenced in August.

Published , updated

Leave a Comment