Bomber kills 6, gunmen kill 2 Sikhs in northwest Pakistan

Pakistani officials say a suicide bombing near a security forces vehicle killed three soldiers and three children in the northwest, near the Afghan border.

PESHAWAR, Pakistan – A suicide bombing near a security forces vehicle killed three soldiers and three children in northwest Pakistan, near the Afghan border, while gunmen killed two minority Sikhs in Peshawar, officials said on Sunday.

A military statement said the bomber activated his explosive vest near a vehicle on security patrol in a village near the town of Mir Ali in North Waziristan’s tribal district.

The attack killed two soldiers in the vehicle at the scene and injured another. Three children playing along the road were seriously injured. All the injured were rushed to a hospital by helicopter, but none survived, the statement said.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack. The military said security forces and intelligence officers were scouring the area for the bomber’s handlers.

The region has served as a safe haven for local and foreign militants for years. The military carried out a massive operation after militants attacked an army-run school in Peshawar in 2014, which left more than 150 dead, most of them schoolchildren.

Also on Sunday, police officer Ejaz Khan said gunmen on a motorcycle opened fire on two members of the minority Sikh community at a bazaar in the Peshawar suburb of Sarband.

Khan said Ranjit Singh, 38, and Kanwal Jeet Singh were shot multiple times as they set up their spice shop at Batta Tal bazaar on Sunday. The attackers fled the scene.

There was no immediate claim of liability. Police are investigating, but Khan said it appears the two Sikhs were targeted because of their ethnicity. Sikhs are a small minority in northwest Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province and have been targeted by militants in the past.

Meanwhile, Pakistani health officials have documented the country’s third polio case of the year in the North Waziristan city of Miran Shah. The Doctor. Mohammad Shahzad, coordinator and spokesman for the country’s anti-polio program, said the deadly virus was detected in a 1-year-old boy. Last year, only one case was registered in the country.

Leave a Comment